October 11, 2010

Bloggers Or Media? Or Both?

This hockey season's going to be a bit crazy, I think. We - Raw Charge, really - have actually got media credentials going on, and we're using them, too. John Fontana was at the NHL Entry Draft in LA over the summer, Meredith Qualls has been to the one preseason Tampa Bay Lightning game and the season opener, and now I'm going to be going to Norfolk this weekend.

The Norfolk Admirals would be considered the Tampa Bay Lightning's AAA farm team, in baseball terminology. I figure that since I'm here in Virginia, I ought to make myself useful. I won't be doing any game recaps or stuff like that, though. I mean, I write for a Lightning blog, and I don't think many of the readers would want to see a game recap.

Instead, I'll be doing some scouting. Maybe some interviews now and then - hopefully before the game. I'd rather not have to track someone down in the locker room, if I can help it. But I will, if necessary. It's not like I haven't been in a men's hockey dressing room after a practice before, after all.

So, my first attempt at this will probably be this Saturday. It's a 3-hour drive for me one way, so it's probably best that I skip the locker room scene, anyways. Leaving right after the game, I'll still be getting home around 1 am. Which is why I'm going down on a Saturday.

I'm mostly going this time around to get an idea of how these things work. I mean, I've never done the media thing before. Hopefully, I won't make too many mistakes. Who knows what the etiquette is like in the press box, you know? I have no plans to interview anyone.

I figure that I'll go to Norfolk about once a month. I think that's often enough to get an idea of how guys are doing. Depending on how it goes, I may go more often than that, but we'll see. Right now I'm just planning on once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment