July 20, 2010

Where Hockey And Geography Meet

Totally Off-Topic: Most Ironic Neighborhoods in America
I was recently in Portland, OR, and I could not believe the sheer concentration of hipsters. (If you don't know what a hipster is, consider yourself lucky.) I mean, I live in San Francisco, and I lived in the Mission for six years, so there's no lack of mustachioed, inked-up tight-jean and 80s ray-ban wearing hipster dudes riding by me on fixies on their way to the record store. One of my favorite hole-in-the-wall latin american restaurants is under new ownership and now has a ridiculously-expensive tasting menu.
As I said in the comments....

Seriously, I have no idea why Olympia, Washington, was left off of this list. That’s where Sleater-Kinney’s originally from – as it’s the name of a street there. Not to mention that it’s the true origin of Grunge. I guess the state capital part of things keeps getting in the way. (I went to high school 20 miles away.)

So not surprised by Portland. Those Oregonians are in their own little world. They do know their hockey in that town, tho. And that’s what really matters.

Gabe's a hockey stats guy - that's his deal. I believe he's even French Canadian, but I'm not entirely positive. I know that he's Canadian, anyways. We've talked about geography statistics before, so this wasn't totally surprising. But, it is an interesting topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment