October 6, 2009

Throwback Coach: John Tortorella

D-Men Del Zotto and Gilroy lift NYR over Devils

I love the kind of coach that Tortorella is. I really do. He calls it likes he sees it, and doesn't really care if people like it or not. And the passion this guy has for the game is fantastic. Sure, it can get old at times - and he can say some wildly inappropriate things, but you've got to respect him for it.

He really reminds me of some football coaches that I've known and seen. He's just such a classic American coach. Hard-nosed, unforgiving, his way or the highway. I really hope he can get Team USA going this Olympics.

There are only two NHL coaches that I'd pay money to watch - even if there's no one on their teams that I'd want to see. John Tortorella is one. Jacques Lemaire is the other. Jacques is a whole 'nother story, but I don't think I'll get into that right now.

Stupid NHL schedule. The Rangers play in DC Thursday and again in March - when the Lightning visit twice - and that's it. And of course the Tampa Bay Lightning have their home opener on Thursday as well. Live hockey or hockey on tv...which would you choose?

I think I'm going to have to go watch the Rangers play at the Washington Capitals on Thursday after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment