September 16, 2009

Lecavalier's Fall From Grace

Yesterday, my friend Thomas (a Rangers fan in England) found out that Vinny Lecavalier stopped by Manchester, England, over the summer. So he sent out this message to Kate (who's a Pens fan from London), Katerina (who's a Lightning/Flyers fan - and has a huge crush on Vinny - in the Czech Republic), and me. The whole thread is pretty funny, as we were bashing Vinny's choice in being a Man United fan. I wish I could post it all up here, but I haven't asked everyone if it was okay.

My response to the whole thing was this:
I was seriously disappointed to find out that he's a Man United fan. And then, as if that weren't bad enough, he likes the Kansas City Royals?! I thought I knew you, Vinny! I'm terribly disillusioned by all of this. I think I need to go lie down for a while....
Thomas, who actually lives in Manchester, isn't a Man United fan. That should tell you something right there. Of course, he's not from there, tho. He's from elsewhere in England. I'll probably be hearing more of this when I see him in DC next month.

But even Katerina, who thinks Vinny's to die for (while he is good looking, she is also 22 years old), said that she didn't think he knew much about football (soccer) if he's a Man United fan. I can almost forgive him for the Kansas City Royals - since that's family, and that's how it should be - but even I know better than to root for Man United. And I'm from the West Coach of North America where I grew up closer to Tokyo, Japan, than I did to Paris, France.

So here's the comparison. Or, comparisons, as it were. It's like a German deciding to follow American footall, and decides to pick the Dallas Cowboys or the New England Patriots as his team. Or a Japanese person deciding to follow American baseball and going with the New York Yankees. Or a Frenchman deciding to follow American college football and picking the Notre Dame Fighting Irish or the Florida Gators. Or a Ukrainian deciding to follow N American hockey and going with either Montréal Canadiens or the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Are you getting the picture here?

I mean, seriously, not only are there 19 other teams to choose from in the English Premier League, but there's the rest of Europe, Africa, Asia, and S America as well. No Real Madrid? No FC Barcelona? No AC Milan? No Bayern Munich? Not to mention Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool of the EPL. And that's just off the top of my head - and I don't even follow soccer.

Manchester United? Really? You couldn't do better than that? I don't know if I can blog about the Lightning after this. Wow. How terribly disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment