August 8, 2009

Playing For The Stanley Cup

I still don't care for Crosby much as an NHLer - as in, his style of play. During the regular season, he just hasn't impressed me, and certainly has not lived up to the hype. Particularly the couple of times I've seen him play in person. Tho he really reminded me of Peter Forsberg during playoffs, and Forsberg was one of my favorite players. Which isn't necessarily a good thing, actually, considering Forsberg's style of play also seriously increased his chance of injury.

Still, it's not his fault that the NHL totally overkills marketing him. And his team doesn't seem to help much with that, either. He really ought to consider taking over the management of his image and giving it to someone he trusts with that kind of thing. I don't know that hiring an actual publicist is necessary, but it could be.

He also really needs to get over doing the traditional Canadian thing of stoic interviews with canned, clich├ęd answers. Makes him look like he has all the personality of dry toast. Of course, he comes from a conservative part of a conservative country, and that doesn't make things any better. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just an observation.

Anyways, if this video is anything to go by, he seems like a pretty decent guy off the ice - with an actual personality, even. And this idea of playing for the Cup with his buddies was absolutely brilliant. It upped my opinion of him hugely, actually. Which is sad of me to say, but there you go.

And who knew that he could play goal? His form isn't bad, even. Although, I'd like to see him try that on the ice. Or, at least, on wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment