July 19, 2009

The Man, The Myth, The Legend - Adam Deadmarsh

What Ever Happened to Adam Deadmarsh?

I am so happy that Deadmarsh has found his way back to the NHL again. It's really too bad that his career ended so soon. Just yet another illustration of how the unexpected injury can end a career.

I started watching hockey with major juniors - the WHL - and Deadmarsh was with the Portland Winterhawks at the time. He was one of my favorite players then. His younger brother played for the Seattle Thunderbirds at one point - but I don't remember if they played on those two times at the same time. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

The last game I saw of Deadmarsh in the WHL was against the Seattle Thunderbirds in old Mercer Arena at the Seattle Center. I remember that game very clearly, for some strange reason. He'd gone to training camp with the Québec Nordiques, but then the 1994 lockout happened, so he was back playing in juniors.

The next time I saw him, was a few months later - same season, or what would've been the same season had the lockout not happened. I think I still have the ticket stub for that game somewhere, even. I'd moved to New York and was at a game at the Meadowlands. It was the only time I've seen the Québec Nordiques play, and it happened to be in New Jersey. The Nordiques moved to Colorado the following season. Deadmarsh had become great friends with Peter Forsberg, and I clearly remember watching the two of them at warmups.

So I look forward to the time that Deadmarsh manages to get himself behind a bench. He was a good hockey player, and I think he'll be a good coach, too. It's nice to see a guy like that get a second chance - especially with the team that he started out with.

No comments:

Post a Comment