June 22, 2009

Lecavalier trade delayed past July 1st?

A Tampa reporter sent out this on Twitter today (passed along to me by a friend):
Former NHL exec says Lecavalier talk has died down and a move before July 1 unlikely, but doesn't rule out a move at later date.

Yeah, I'd like to see them try to move Vinny against his will. Especially after his no-movement clause kicks in. I think he'd probably go play in Europe before he let them trade him. Or he could give in gracefully. Just depends on what mood they catch him in when they ask (or demand), I think.

Can you even imagine? "Vinny, we know how much you love it here, and what you mean to the community. But we just can't afford your salary. I know that we negotiated that contract with you, but that was during a more favorable economic climate. So would you give us a list of teams and waive your no-movement clause? We'd really appreciate your cooperation in this. Thanks."

(I don't know about you, but just writing that pissed me off - and it has absolutely nothing to do with me.)

Assuming that they're that polite, of course. I keep thinking about Boyle, though, and how he was pressured and humiliated into waiving his no-trade clause. And how furious that made him. Remember, these are the exact same people involved here as well. They don't seem to do public relations nor diplomacy very well.

I've brought up this possibility before, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. But, wow, it could be ugly if it happens. Lecavalier's really not the sort you want to have mad at you.

Don't let that pretty face and calm demeanor fool you. He's got a wicked temper. I'd even go so far to say that he's ruthless when provoked.

Have you ever seen him fight? He'll look annoyed for a little bit and then unexpectedly start pounding on someone for no apparent reason. It's like a ton of bricks falling on someone out of the blue.

I read a quote of his a while back saying something along the lines of, "If you know you're going to get into a fight, make sure you get in the first swing and make it count." Not exactly chivalrous, is it? Though it is ruthlessly practical thinking, all the same.

I can understand that kind of thinking, tho. I mean, he's got an older brother and you've got to take what opportunities you can. I know how that goes since I'm the youngest myself.

This is all pure speculation on my part, of course. Still, it's something to think about. The Lightning have done it before with Boyle and it worked. There's no reason to believe that they won't try it again with Lecavalier.

No comments:

Post a Comment