June 2, 2009

The infamous "torn hip labrum" injury

Hips Are Bringing More Athletes to Their Knees [NY Times article - may require login]

This article deals mostly with the rash of baseball players having hip problems, but anyone who watches hockey knows that this happens in that sport, too. Frankly, I thought that it was caused by the unnatural motion of skating, but I guess that assumption is wrong if baseball players are affected. There's no more natural motion than running, after all. Unless it's batting that does it.

Whenever I watch college football, I cringe when I see the linemen with their ankle braces. Because when you stabilize your ankle, and something happens to your leg, the next weakest point is your knee. if you stabilize your knee, too, then it's your hip. After that, it's your back. It's a never-ending thing. In the end, it's just better to not go down that road and leave the ankle alone in the first place.

I mean, seriously, which would you rather have? A sprained ankle? Or instead, a sprained knee? I don't know about you, but I've done both and I'll take the sprained ankleover the sprained knee any day.

It's hard to say whether hip injuries are a training issue, a motion issue, or simply an awareness issue. After all, concussions were disregarded for the longest time as being nothing. It's only been the last 10 years or so that people have taken them seriously. So you've got to wonder if hip injuries are a similar thing. The new "fad" injury because everyone's suddenly aware of it. Probably, it's a combination of all three factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment