March 7, 2009

Tampa Bay Game 66: vs Carolina

The Tampa Bay Lightning lost to the Carolina Hurricanes 9-3.

Many turnings of the seasons ago, I watched major junior hockey. The WHL, to be a little more specific. Anywho, there'd be blowout games, of course. There usually are a couple during the course of a 72-game season.

During those blowouts, my friends and I would try to encourage whichever team happened to be losing hugely by cheering them on. And it wouldn't matter if it was the visiting team or not. We'd switch allegiance during the game once a team got up by five goals or so. We'd even applaud shots on goal. Not to be obnoxious, but in all seriousness because we felt they needed it.

Yep. It was one of those games for the Lightning. By the end of the second period, but before the ninth goal was scored against them, I was half-wondering if there was a mercy rule in the NHL. I know that there's not, but you've almost got to wonder why there isn't.

I kept with the game until the bitter end, tho, of course. I say, "of course," because I almost always do. If football has taught me one thing, it's that you just never know what might happen at the end of the game. Sometimes, more stuff happens after the fourth quarter two-minute warning in a football game than happens in the previous 58 game minutes. So it's just a habit I've gotten into, and I do it for most of the sports that I watch - even if the game isn't very pretty or very nice.

Football is my first love, but hockey is my true love. I feel like I know the game of football much better than I do hockey. I almost went into coaching football, but work got in the way of two-a-days when I was in college, so I couldn't. Oh well, such is life.

Why am I babbling about football instead of hockey? Look at the score. I think that pretty much tells you everything you need to know. So do you really want me to go on about that game? Seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment