March 18, 2009

The CHL vs the NCAA

CHL ‘contaminating' kids in terms of eligibility, Berenson says

Yeah, I can see this. Education doesn't seem that important to people who run major juniors. I guess it depends on the team, really, but mostly I think it's left up to the individual player then anything else.

Education was a big thing with my dad growing up. It's been pounded into my head from before I was born, frankly. When I came on to the scene, my older sisters were already indoctrinated.

And then there's the fact that most athletes in the American system are drafted out of college. Some even choosing to finish up their college eligibility before going pro. Others leaving college early but then finish up their degrees while they're pro.

It's not so much that I think an athlete should have an education - tho I do think that most people in general should be given the opportunity to get an education, if that's what they want. I feel like these guys are getting the short end of the stick. They're not being given an opportunity to choose, but instead, other people are making up their minds for them.

I mean, 14 or 15 is awfully young to have to decide between junior hockey and college. When I was 18, I still hadn't decided on if I wanted to go to college or not. Maybe it's the NCAA that needs to be more accommodating in terms of their restrictions, I don't know, but something should be changed about that.

I don't see the people involved in major junior hockey changing their tunes quite so easily, so it probably lies upon the NCAA to make the changes necessary to allow these guys to have more of an opportunity to choose - without feeling like they have to decide between a professional hockey career or an education instead of being able to have both, if that's what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment