February 28, 2009

Jess goes to Hockeytown

Toast of Hockey Town Part I

My friend Jessica just started up a hockey blog. She's a Red Wings fan and she wrote about meeting some of her favorite hockey players at a charity event. I love the way she writes because it's so entertaining. But I also thought that people might want to see how a lot of female hockey fans see the players.

I tend to be a bit more aloof when writing about them - intentionally, of course. Not always, but most of the time. I grew up at a time and in a place where women weren't taken seriously if they liked sports no matter what, so it's kind of a knee-jerk reaction to write that way. If I were to gush about how good looking a guy is all the time, along with writing about the sport seriously, I don't know, it makes me feel like I'm undermining my own credibility. I know that I'm not, but it's kind of an ingrained thing with me at this point.

Jess blends both a keen hockey knowledge and being a woman appreciating good looking men in a way that I don't think I'll ever manage to do. So if you want to see how female sports fans really are, and be entertained thoroughly by it, go read a bit of her blog. Part II is forthcoming, I believe.

I'm soo jealous that she got to meet Yzerman. He's so good looking. I've always thought that, tho.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Cassie. I am very touched that you think I was able to blend my true hockey knowledge and fandom with my femininity and female point of view.

    I have recently given great thought to the issue of female fans. It was spurred by trying to decide how to feel about the Scarlett Caps group. I've decided that it's absolutely fine to love the sport and the men that play it. After all, would a male hockey fan turn up his nose at a gorgeous female player? Absolutely not. We may be fans, but that does not turn off our hormones and natural instincts. I feel that we can equally appreciate a sweet breakaway and a sweet ass. ;)

    Thanks again for this incredible endorsement, Cassie. Especially since you are such a phenomenal writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i call it like i see it. i wish i could write about that stuff like you do, i really do. but i can't - at least, not very often.

    i posted this very same blog up on the Bolts Blog, too, so the Tampa Bay fans and players can also enjoy your fantastic writing.

    like i keep saying, just because women like sports doesn't mean that we're dead, you know?

    ReplyDelete