January 27, 2009

Tampa Bay Game 48: vs. Montréal

The Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Montréal Canadiens 5-3.

This game has a playoff feel to it from the beginning. Everybody came ready to play. They might not have felt that way in the first period, but mentally they were there and eager to go. Tampa Bay looked like an upper echelon team. And, if they hadn't had a rough first half of the season, they might be.

The initial run on penalties during the first half of the game wasn't the best. But they did manage to keep the puck out of the net. Their penalty kill has been really good for them recently. And they also managed to convert on two of their four power play opportunities as well.

It was a chippy game from the beginning, tho. I'm not exactly sure why that was. It was almost rivalry-like, but there's really no reason for that. I was happy to see Lightning players stand up for their teammate, tho, and being smart about it. You don't see enough of that anymore around the NHL - teammates sticking up for each other. Frankly, I think it's a good thing.

Smith was again great, and Malone had a good game. Lecavalier, St. Louis, and Stamkos all had a bit of extra fire to them and I can't help but think that that was a little carry over from being in Montréal over the weekend. All three had a fantastic game and had five points altogether (two goals and three assists). Lecavalier had eight shots out of the total 23 for the team. I think the rest of the team needs to step up on that.

On an entirely different note, I know that I didn't write anything about All-Star Weekend, but I did that intentionally. The whole weekend seemed to revolve around Lecavalier and trade rumors and I'm not going to discuss any of that. I've said my piece about it, and that's it. I don't like talking about rumors, anyways. But I hope you enjoyed watching All-Star Weekend. I certainly did.

No comments:

Post a Comment